Flames' Andersson fined $5K for roughing Oilers' Yamamoto
In the season's first edition of the "Battle of Alberta," Andersson headbutted Yamamoto late in the first period, appearing to take exception to the winger encroaching on Flames goaltender Jacob Markstrom.
Here's a closer look at the incident:
The officials handed Andersson minor penalties for roughing and elbowing. Oilers superstar Connor McDavid scored on the ensuing power play.
Under NHL rules, an attempt to headbutt warrants a double minor, but a player who actually does headbutt an opponent is supposed to be assessed a major.
Andersson is in his fourth full season with the Flames, though he played his first game with Calgary in 2016-17.
- Sharks' Wilson taking temporary medical leave
- What's driving the decline in NBA and NHL attendance?
- Armstrong: Canada's goalie situation less concrete than competitors'
- Jarry stays hot with 3rd shutout in last 5 games as Pens blank Isles
- Vasilevskiy records 200th career win in style with 17-save shutout