Krueger beats Zhu at Japan Open for maiden tour title
OSAKA, Japan (AP) — American Ashlyn Krueger capped a perfect week to win her maiden tour title by stunning top-seeded Zhu Lin of China 6-3, 7-6 (6) in the final of the Japan Open.
Krueger hadn’t dropped a set at the tournament leading into Sunday’s final and the 19-year-old Texan showed few nerves as she broke No.35-ranked Zhu's first service game of the match and then maintained composure through a tight second set and tiebreaker to claim her breakthrough title in one hour and 36 minutes.
Before this week, the 123rd-ranked Krueger's best tour result was the quarterfinals on the grass of ’s-Hertogenbosch. She came into the week without a main-draw win on hard courts this year.
Her victory in Osaka will move the American inside the top 100 for the first time.
AP tennis: https://apnews.com/hub/tennis
- Evert to miss Aussie Open while being treated for cancer recurrence
- Wozniacki awarded wild card for 2024 Australian Open
- Canada beats Italy to win Billie Jean King Cup for 1st time
- Naomi Osaka set to make her tennis return at the Brisbane International
- Teenager Stakusic leads Canada to win over Spain in BJK Cup Finals