Farewell to the GOAT: Sports world reacts to Federer's retirement
Roger Federer, the 20-time Grand Slam champion who has long been one of the most beloved athletes in all of sports, said Thursday that he intends to retire from professional tennis later this month.
Though he hasn't played competitively in over a year, his announcement still sent waves throughout the tennis world, which saluted the 41-year-old on an iconic career.
Federer, who'll go down as one of the greatest athletes in history, transcends tennis. It was no surprise, then, that he received plaudits from the wider sporting world - and beyond - in the wake of his decision to retire.
- Tiafoe beats Tsitsipas to give Team World 1st Laver Cup win
- Tennis' All-Star Game? Federer's Laver Cup can become so much more
- Federer, Nadal, Djokovic set new bar for next generations
- Sonego beats Bublik at Moselle Open to win his 1st title of 2022
- Retired Federer offers advice to Laver Cup sub Berrettini