BJK Cup Finals prize money moves level with Davis Cup at $9.6M
SEVILLE, Spain (AP) — The Billie Jean King Cup Finals will offer a record total of $9.6 million in prize money, including $2.4 million to the champions, the International Tennis Federation announced Monday.
The ITF said this puts the women competing at the BJK Cup Finals on an equivalent prize level as the men at the Davis Cup Finals.
The 12-team BJK Cup Finals start Tuesday at Seville's La Cartuja Stadium and run through Sunday.
Defending champion Switzerland is joined by last year's runner-up, Australia, and 10 other countries: Canada, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Italy, Kazakhstan, Poland, Slovenia, Spain and the United States.
The runner-up team will earn $1.44 million, each losing semifinalist will get $960,000 and teams eliminated in the group stage will receive $480,000.
AP tennis: https://apnews.com/hub/tennis
- Kostyuk, Boulter battle their way into San Diego Open final
- Czech tennis boss accused of fraud after federation raided by police
- Paolini defeats Kalinskaya in comeback victory for Dubai title
- Italian tennis player Andrea Rita gets 15-month suspension
- Cirstea saves 6 match points in Dubai quarterfinal win over Vondrousova