Toews after missing season: This is a fresh start for me and the team
"It feels really good to be back," he told reporters as the Blackhawks opened their training camp on Thursday, according to The Athletic's Scott Powers. "It's a brand new group in so many ways. It's a fresh start for the other guys, but for me especially."
Though Toews said he would love to play in the Blackhawks’ season opener, the center doesn't want to get ahead of himself since he's not yet "firing on all cylinders."
"I'm just taking it one day at a time, that's all I can really handle right now," he said. "I kind of got into the whole 'goals vs. expectations' thing and I had to think about that for a minute, but that’s my goal. I think I just have to keep being patient."
Toews has spent his entire career in Chicago. He's notched 815 points over 943 contests.
- Matthews to make season debut vs. Rangers
- Erik Karlsson: I still think 'I'm one of the best players in the world'
- Sharks' Knyzhov out 8-10 weeks after surgery for lower-body injury
- Lightning 'praying' Kucherov OK after leaving game with apparent injury
- Flames' Andersson fined $5K for roughing Oilers' Yamamoto