Watch: Abdelkader busts open Blunden with brutal ground-and-pound
Justin Abdelkader unleashed a series of vicious, uncontested punches - including an MMA-style hammerfist - on Tampa Bay Lightning winger Mike Blunden as part of a melee late in the Detroit Red Wings' Game 2 loss Friday night.
Blunden, clearly defenseless throughout the scrum, was left busted open as a result of the attack. He told reporters after the game that he required nine stitches.
The NHL's Department of Player Safety will most certainly review the incident, which earned Abdelkader a game misconduct.
- Rockies' Kuhl tosses 3-hit shutout in win over Dodgers
- Twins' Gray used Wes Johnson's departure as motivation in strong outing
- The Hall of Fame's perpetual rejection of Alexander Mogilny must be rectified
- Blue Jays' Gausman dominates to end win streak by Red Sox
- Report: Wall plans to sign with Clippers after Rockets buyout