Fiziev stops Riddell with spinning wheel kick in battle of prospects
Saturday's co-main event between Rafael Fiziev and Brad Riddell did not disappoint.
Fiziev, one of the UFC's highest touted lightweight prospects, finished Riddell via TKO with a spinning wheel kick at the 2:20 mark of the third round at UFC Fight Night in Las Vegas.
Fiziev didn't initially drop Riddell with the kick, but Riddell appeared dazed and fell to the canvas as referee Herb Dean stepped in.
The fighters exchanged powerful shots throughout the entire fight, with Fiziev seemingly getting the better of Riddell in the stand-up department through two rounds.
Fiziev landed his patented leg kicks and heavy punches to bust up a game Riddell before putting the stamp on the fight.
The 28-year-old has now won five in a row and appears in prime position to get a top-10 opponent heading into 2022. He entered as the No. 14-ranked lightweight, while Riddell was above him at No. 12.
Fiziev has defeated the likes of Bobby Green and Renato Moicano to earn the label as one of the hottest up-and-comers at 155 pounds.
Riddell, who has boxing and kickboxing experience, suffered his first TKO loss in combat sports. He was 4-0 in the UFC before Saturday's loss ended his seven-fight winning streak.
- Ngannou pins UFC conflict on unfair contracts: 'They hold you in captivity'
- Report: UFC tabs Luque-Muhammad to headline April 16 card
- Ngannou: UFC threatened to sue agent after alleged talks with Jake Paul's team
- Jake Paul invests in UFC's parent company amid feud over fighter pay
- Vitor Belfort eyes Tommy Fury, pitches Tyson Fury-Junior dos Santos bout