Report: Bayer Leverkusen's Amiri set to join Genoa on loan
Berlin, Jan 24, 2022 (AFP) - Germany midfielder Nadiem Amiri is on the verge of leaving Bayer Leverkusen for Italian side Genoa where he is expected to undergo a medical this week, according to reports on Monday,
The 25-year-old, who was born in Ludwigshafen to Afghan parents, has so far made five appearances for Germany since his debut in 2019.
However, he has started only three Bundesliga games this season for Leverkusen with rising star Florian Wirtz, 18, preferred in the attacking midfield role.
Amiri won the Under-21 European championship in 2017.
He is expected to undergo a medical on Tuesday before initially signing on loan with an option to buy with Genoa under German coach Alexander Blessin, who has taken charge following the sacking of ex-Ukraine captain Andriy Shevchenko after just 11 games in charge.
Genoa are currently second from bottom in Italy's top-flight while Leverkusen are third in the Bundesliga.
- NHL Monday best bets: Don't expect fireworks in Tampa
- Flames seeking answers for McDavid: 'We've let one guy beat us'
- Luka commends Wiggins on nasty dunk: 'I wish I had those bunnies'
- Kane's natural hat trick propels Oilers past Flames for series lead in Game 3
- Warriors push Mavs to brink of elimination with Game 3 win