Kokrak outduels Spieth at Colonial to earn 2nd career victory
Kokrak only needed an even-par 70 to claim his second career PGA TOUR title, with both coming in the 2020-21 season. He won the CJ Cup at Shadow Creek in October.
The 36-year-old began the final round trailing Spieth by one, and both players in the last pairing stumbled out of the gate. Kokrak bogeyed the par-5 first and added another square to his scorecard on No. 4. However, Spieth bogeyed three of his first four holes to quickly give up the outright lead, which he was never able to regain.
Luckily for Kokrak, he built a four-shot edge over the next closest competitor after 54 holes, which allowed him to not have his best stuff Sunday and still head home with the hardware. He also benefited from Spieth shooting a final-round 73, which included a bogey on the final hole.
Kokrak vaults to No. 22 in the world with his second victory in his last 17 starts.
Here's how the leaderboard finished from Fort Worth, Texas:
|Place||Player||To Par||R4 Score|
The PGA TOUR heads to Columbus, Ohio, next week for the Memorial Tournament hosted by Jack Nicklaus.
- Austrian-born, American-raised Straka leads Olympic golf
- PGA TOUR won't allow members to compete in Saudi International
- South Koreans can avoid mandatory military service with Olympic medal
- Rahm still doesn't know why he's watching Olympics from home
- Olympic golf betting preview: Red-hot Morikawa favored to win gold