Report: Warriors finalizing deal to bring WNBA team to Bay Area
The Golden State Warriors are finalizing a deal to bring a WNBA team to the Bay Area, sources told The Athletic's Marcus Thompson II.
While several details still need to be finalized, the new franchise would play its games at the Chase Center with its home base in Oakland at the Warriors' practice facility, adds Thompson II.
An official announcement could reportedly come as soon as early October.
WNBA commissioner Cathy Engelbert has spoken about expanding the league in the past, with an eye on potentially adding a new team or two by the 2024 season.
The league last expanded in 2008 when it added the Atlanta Dream.
- Lakers win debut NBA Cup behind dominant performances from LeBron, AD
- theScore's 50 favorite moments of 2023: Fights, phenoms, and epic buzzer-beaters
- Kyrie suffered heel contusion in win over Blazers
- Kerr: Warriors are 'good enough to win a championship'
- Green, VanVleet combine for 51 as Rockets beat Nuggets for 1st road win