De Castro spoils Dos Santos' Eagle FC debut
Former UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos fell short in his Eagle FC debut.
Yorgan De Castro defeated Dos Santos via TKO at the 0:35 mark of the third round in the Eagle FC 47 main event Friday night in Miami.
The bout ended after Dos Santos separated his shoulder throwing a punch.
Both veterans looked solid and put up a balanced fight prior to the injury. Dos Santos was arguably the more effective striker over three rounds, though his jabs and leg kicks didn't seem to affect De Castro's strategy. De Castro enjoyed his best moment of the night early in the second round, coming hot out of the gate after Round 1.
Khabib Nurmagomedov, who owns Eagle FC, supported Dos Santos after the event.
The result adds a fifth defeat to Dos Santos' skid. The 38-year-old, who hadn't fought since December 2020, hasn't won a fight since beating Derrick Lewis at UFC Fight Night in 2019.
Meanwhile, De Castro has now won both of his Eagle FC matchups. The 35-year-old previously defeated Shaun Asher via submission in January.
- Dana White: Jones to fight either Ngannou or Miocic in heavyweight debut
- Murphy-Tate moving to UFC Long Island due to positive COVID-19 test
- Gamrot edges Tsarukyan in entertaining UFC main event
- Eblen dethrones Mousasi to capture middleweight title at Bellator 282
- Ray submits Pettis at PFL 5 to set up playoff rematch