Spartak beat Napoli to take top spot in Europa League group
Moscow, Nov 24, 2021 (AFP) - Aleksandr Sobolev's first-half double helped Spartak Moscow to a 2-1 home victory over Serie A leaders Napoli on Wednesday which moved the Russians top of their Europa League group.
All four teams can still progress from Group C and the winner of Leicester's game against Legia Warsaw at the King Power Stadium on Thursday would replace Spartak at the summit.
After a fast start to the season, Napoli are now winless in three games in all competitions after taking just one point from their last two Serie A matches.
Russian international Sobolev gave Spartak, who lost 3-2 in Naples earlier in the campaign, the lead with a third-minute penalty before netting again before the half-hour mark.
Eljif Elmas pulled one back for the visitors in the second period, but Napoli could not find an equaliser.
Luciano Spalletti's side slip below Spartak on head-to-head away goals.
- Eintracht Frankfurt win Europa League to end 42-year continental drought
- Trapp hails Frankfurt fans as 'heroes' after Europa League triumph
- Van Bronckhorst backs Ramsey after penalty heartache
- Rangnick relieved to secure Europa League spot for United
- 'Blood, sweat and tears' pays off for Abraham as he eyes European glory