4-star WR Winfield decommits from Texas during game vs. Kansas State
Winfield, who became the first recruit of the Steve Sarkisian era in January, announced his decision to leave the school in the middle of Texas' game against Kansas State.
The Longhorns, who entered Friday on a six-game losing streak, were trailing the Wildcats at halftime but came back with two field goals in the second half to win 22-17.
Winfield was Texas' fourth-highest recruit in 2022, behind defensive lineman Jaray Bledsoe, safety Bryan Allen Jr., and wide receiver Brenen Thompson, per ESPN 300.
Sarkisian struggled in his first season with the Longhorns, posting a 5-7 record. Texas' six-game skid was the school's worst since 1956 and the third-longest in its history, according to 247 Sports' Chris Hummer.
- Saban envisions CFP drawing solely from 2-3 megaconferences
- Calipari calls Kentucky a 'basketball school,' riling Stoops
- Notre Dame AD: Big Ten deal with NBC 'perfect' for Irish
- Alabama's Earle to miss start of season with foot injury
- Former Washington State coach Rolovich files wrongful termination claim