Melo: LeBron 'forced me' to join him on Lakers
Anthony spoke about the decision to team up with James on Tuesday's episode of "The Drew Barrymore Show," joking that he was basically forced into it.
"I almost got forced to do it. ... I think LeBron forced me to do it," Anthony said. "He waited till the right time. He waited till we're at the end of our careers and he said, 'The time is now. If you don't do it now, we ain't gonna never do it.'"
He explained that with both of them entering their 19th seasons, it felt like the ideal time to play together.
"Early on, I don't think it would've worked out between us because he was on his path, I was on my path. We had different lanes," Anthony said. "I just think everything happens for a reason and timing is everything."
Anthony, 37, signed a one-year deal with the Lakers in free agency after spending the last two seasons with the Portland Trail Blazers.
- NBA unveils Part 1 of its 75th Anniversary Team countdown
- Simmons suspended 1 game after removal from practice, reportedly fined $1.4M
- Pistons' Cunningham to miss opener vs. Bulls with ankle sprain
- Bagley's agent rips Kings, says they removed client from rotation
- Suns GM: Team never had 'real negotiations' with Ayton