Lowry to wear No. 7 for Heat with Dragic's reported approval
Lowry wore No. 7 in eight of his nine seasons in Toronto but it was unclear if he would don the number with the Heat as it belonged to former fan favorite Goran Dragic, who was shipped along with Precious Achiuwa to the Toronto Raptors in the sign-and-trade deal.
However, Dragic gave Lowry and the Heat his blessing to allow the six-time All-Star to sport his former number, a source told Tim Reynolds of The Associated Press.
After wearing No. 1 for the first two seasons of his career with the Memphis Grizzlies, Lowry has gone with No. 7 in all but one campaign since. After being traded from the Houston Rockets to the Raptors in 2012, Lowry took up No. 3 in 2012-13, as former first overall pick Andrea Bargnani owned the No. 7 jersey.
Bargnani was traded to the New York Knicks the following year, allowing Lowry to return to his accustomed number.
The Raptors have yet to announce which number Dragic will wear in Toronto. Raptors governor Larry Tanenbaum said in August the franchise plans to eventually retire Lowry's No. 7, seemingly ruling it out for Dragic next season. The Slovenian guard has also worn Nos. 1, 2, and 3 during stints with the Rockets and Phoenix Suns.
- NBA unveils Part 1 of its 75th Anniversary Team countdown
- Simmons suspended 1 game after removal from practice, reportedly fined $1.4M
- Pistons' Cunningham to miss opener vs. Bulls with ankle sprain
- Bagley's agent rips Kings, says they removed client from rotation
- Suns GM: Team never had 'real negotiations' with Ayton