Bucks make Byington NBA's 1st full-time female play-by-play announcer
Byington becomes the first female to occupy the role for a major men's professional sports team in a full-time capacity.
"I'm absolutely thrilled for this opportunity and the ability to work with a first-class franchise and a championship organization like the Milwaukee Bucks," Byington said in a statement.
Byington takes over for longtime play-by-play announcer Jim Paschke, who retired at the end of the 2020-21 season after a 35-year run calling Bucks games.
In March, Byington was the first female to provide play-by-play commentary for the NCAA men's basketball tournament.
"I understand the groundbreaking nature of this hire, and I appreciate the fact that during this process that aspect was addressed, but never made a primary focus," Byington said. "In fact, I applaud the Bucks for taking the first steps toward making hires like this more of the norm in the NBA. Because it's time."
- NBA unveils Part 1 of its 75th Anniversary Team countdown
- Simmons suspended 1 game after removal from practice, reportedly fined $1.4M
- Pistons' Cunningham to miss opener vs. Bulls with ankle sprain
- Bagley's agent rips Kings, says they removed client from rotation
- Suns GM: Team never had 'real negotiations' with Ayton