Jokic ejected from Game 4 loss after hard swipe at Suns' Payne
Officials assessed the recently named MVP a flagrant-2 foul midway through the third quarter of Sunday's Game 4 for striking Cameron Payne while attempting to dislodge the ball.
Jokic and Suns star Devin Booker faced off in the aftermath, forcing their teammates to intervene.
Booker received a flagrant-1 foul for the sequence.
The ejection was Jokic's first since March 2019. The 26-year-old center finished the game with 22 points, 11 rebounds, four assists, and one block in 28 minutes.
"I wanted to change the rhythm of the game, I wanted to give us some energy, maybe change the whistle a little bit, so I wanted to make a hard foul," Jokic reasoned postgame, according to ESPN's Royce Young. "Did I hit him, did I not hit him? We don't know. So I say sorry if I did."
The Nuggets trailed 83-75 at the time of the incident and went on to lose 125-118.
Phoenix will face either the Utah Jazz or the Los Angeles Clippers in the Western Conference finals. Utah currently boasts a 2-1 series lead.
- Report: Grizzlies to trade Valanciunas to Pelicans for package, No. 10 pick
- Report: Pistons considering Cunningham, Green, Mobley for No. 1 pick
- Top 10 trade candidates this offseason
- Team USA is vulnerable in Tokyo. Can Australia mount a worthy challenge?
- Report: Raptors to name ex-Suns head coach Watson as assistant