Report: Barboza, Mitchell agree to March 5 bout
Edson Barboza and Bryce Mitchell verbally agreed to meet in a featherweight fight at a UFC event on March 5, sources told MMA Junkie's Mike Bohn and Farah Hannoun on Thursday.
Barboza suffered a knockout loss to rising contender Giga Chikadze in August, snapping a two-fight winning streak. The 35-year-old Brazilian striker used to compete in the lightweight division, but he dropped to 145 pounds last year and has gone 2-2 since then.
Mitchell, 27, hasn't fought since a decision victory over Andre Fili in October 2020. A submission specialist and one of the top prospects at featherweight, Mitchell is 5-0 in the Octagon and 14-0 as a pro.
The promotion hasn't announced a main event or location for its March 5 show.
- Jake Paul to fight Woodley again after Tommy Fury pulls out
- Aldo upsets Font in exciting UFC main event
- Fiziev stops Riddell with spinning wheel kick in battle of prospects
- Jones: Adesanya would get 'ground-and-pounded to death' in fight
- Pettis rallies to KO Horiguchi with spinning back fist, retains title