Report: Yankees land top international prospect Arias for $4M
Arias, 17, is the No. 1-ranked international prospect, according to MLB.com. The switch-hitting shortstop from the Dominican Republic is considered above average on both sides of the ball, with the potential to develop as an elite hitter.
The league's international signing period opened on Saturday, with teams eligible to use their bonus-pool allotments to land eligible prospects from Latin America.
In landing Arias, the Yankees are using over three-quarters of their nearly $5.2-million bonus pool. They'll have approximately $1.2 million left to sign other international prospects.
Arias joins a farm system arguably headlined by fellow Dominican Jasson Dominguez. The Yankees landed the highly touted outfielder in July 2019 on a $5.1-million bonus.
- Injury-plagued Yankees place Stanton, Loaisiga on IL
- Votto homers, triples, shouts at reliever as Reds beat Cubs
- Servais frustrated after M's drop to last place: 'We're not playing good baseball'
- Fedde leads Nationals to shutout win over NL-leading Dodgers
- Texas school shooting 'hits close to home' for Rays pitcher Raley