Vinicius Jr.'s return delayed due to reported illness
Real Madrid forward Vinicius Junior was ruled out of the derby clash against Atletico Madrid on Sunday just hours before the match in La Liga.
Los Blancos coach Carlo Ancelotti said Saturday the Brazilian winger would be in the squad for the first time after a hamstring injury as he was training well, but that Madrid would take no risks with him.
"Vinicius Junior, last-minute absentee from the squad," wrote Madrid on social media network X, formerly Twitter.
Spanish media reported Vinicius' absence was because of stomach problems rather than related to his hamstring recovery.
Vinicius last played for Madrid, who hold a 100% record, against Celta Vigo on Aug. 25, when he suffered the injury.
- Sociedad beat Villarreal to overtake Athletic Bilbao; Las Palmas up to 8th
- Real Madrid held by Betis despite Bellingham's 12th league goal
- Real Madrid boss Ancelotti expecting Vinicius Jr. to return in January
- English FA chair accuses Rubiales of kissing England player at Women's World Cup
- Bayern Munich agree to sign rising Spanish star Zaragoza next summer