Ronaldo will wear No. 7 at Manchester United, Cavani shifts to No. 21
Ronaldo, 36, inherited the No. 7 jersey from David Beckham in 2003 and wore it at United for six seasons before further developing his CR7 brand with Real Madrid, Juventus, and while on Portugal duty.
Numerous United icons have worn No. 7, including George Best, Bryan Robson, Eric Cantona, and Beckham. The players who donned the figure during Ronaldo's 11-year absence were Michael Owen, Antonio Valencia, Angel Di Maria, Memphis Depay, Alexis Sanchez, and Cavani.
"I wasn't sure if it would be possible to have the No. 7 shirt again, so I would like to say a huge thank you to Edi for this incredible gesture," Ronaldo said.
Ronaldo scored 118 goals in 292 appearances over his previous spell at United, winning nine trophies, including three Premier League titles and the Champions League.
He's expected to make his second debut for the club when Newcastle United visit Old Trafford on Sept. 11.
- Champions League preview: Solskjaer feels the heat, Barca in danger
- Separatism, cognac, and caviar: 5 things to know about Sheriff Tiraspol
- Neymar ruled out of Champions League clash against Leipzig
- Klopp not a fan of Atletico's style despite respect for Simeone
- De Bruyne out to make new, better memories in Champions League