Report: Varane wants to leave Madrid, United ready to make offer
Manchester United are preparing a bid to sign center-back Raphael Varane from Real Madrid, according to The Guardian's Fabrizio Romano and Marcus Christenson.
It's understood the Premier League side will offer Varane a five-year contract.
The 2018 World Cup winner is willing to accept the deal after notifying Real Madrid on Monday that he wants to leave after 10 years in the Spanish capital, Romano adds.
United held talks with Varane's representatives earlier this summer, as the French international was reluctant to sign an extension at Real Madrid before exploring other options, according to Rob Dawson of ESPN.
Real Madrid are holding out for €50 million, but United may attempt to persuade them to accept a lower fee given the Red Devils' financial restraints following the €84.5 million paid for Jadon Sancho, Dawson adds.
Varane has evolved into one of the world's top defenders since joining Real Madrid from Lens in 2011 and has won just about every major trophy - including four Champions League titles - at the club level.
- 10 thoughts from this week's Champions League action
- FIFA 22 ratings: Messi claims top spot again ahead of Lewandowski, Ronaldo
- Ake scored 1st Champions League goal minutes before father's death
- Pochettino must work on weaknesses as PSG stars flop
- FIFA poll claims majority of fans want 'more frequent' World Cup